Pic

Pic

Joshua Olausen

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Caleb Jeffrey

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Breastfeeding

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Friday, December 9, 2011

Welcome Caleb Jeffrey!

Well as the Lord would have it (and I think Dr. Seward somehow knew!), Caleb Jeffrey Clark was born yesterday, December 8, 2011, at 11:06am. 6 pounds 6 oz, 19 inches long. Here's the details:

I went to the Dr on Wednesday for a regular check up at 36 weeks and 2 days. I was 2 cm dilated and the head was down low. I thought for sure I would have a few more days. Dr. Seward said "probably within a week we might see fireworks". Great! I have a week to prepare. As he was leaving the room, he jokingly said "See you tomorrow." I laughed out loud and basically said I sure hope not.

That night, I went to our small group Christmas party by myself. Jeff was gone to a game and my mother-in-law watched Josh for me. He had thrown up the night before so I figured family was the best bet for watching him in case it happened again. Thankfully it didn't. At the party I was eating tons of food including a spicy artichoke jalapeno garlic dip. I definitely overate and at 11 that night, couldn't sleep well because I thought I was either going to be sick like Josh was or it was indigestion from all the food I ate! Thankfully I made it to 3am without getting sick. At 3, I started having different contractions. I had been having braxton hicks since about week 20 but these were different. These were sharper and lasted longer. I didn't think anything of them because they were irregular and I went right back to sleep after I had one. But starting at 5:30, I continued to get them and now they were every 4 minutes apart. I laid in bed for a half hour debating what to do. Finally I got up and went in the shower. They continued to come every 3 to 4 minutes. I called my dr at 8 and he said he was up at the hospital on call so come on up and get checked out. I got there having 3 contractions on the way...yuck!

Got to the hospital at 9 and was 5cm dilated. I think I would have rather been 8! But at least I was making progress in the last 3.5 hours. I labored on the birthing ball and standing up until 10:20 when I got checked again and was 8cm. Dr Seward broke my water then just hung out with us until about 10:50 when I told him I was feeling pressure. I started pushing at about 10:55. Seriously, the worst pain I can remember. I don't know if I just blocked the pain out with Josh, but I yelled several times "Get this baby out of me!" I truly felt and can still recall the "ring of fire" that felt like it lasted the entire 10 minutes of pushing. At 11:06, Dr Seward told me to reach down and take my baby. At that point, I again yelled, "Get him out!" as I was pulling him out. I don't think I cared at that point who was getting the baby, I just wanted him out. So Caleb came at 36 weeks and 3 days. Totally unexpected for me. Although physically I was prepared (Christmas shopping done and wrapped, house cleaned and clothes washed), mentally I was not! But praise the Lord, he is healthy and doing great! Nursing is going pretty well too!

I will post a picture soon when I get my camera photos uploaded. He is a sweetie :) Josh just basically ignores him. But I think he will get used to him quick. Thanks for everyone's prayers!

4 comments:

Team Tonagel said...

Yea!!! So thankful he's here and doing well. I've said it before and I'll say it again, you are A.M.A.Z.I.N.G! Not only that, you are a total hottie after giving birth!

Anonymous said...

Yeahhhh Tiff! So happy for you! It sounds like you did AMAZING! Praise God for sweet little Caleb!
Malorie T.

Rachel said...

I saw someone's picture of you and Caleb(love the name) on facebook--- I was so happy! I am in shock that you had all your Christmas stuff done: what a well-organized mama you are. And you're so right, DrSeward does know things like that. I guess that means he's good at what he does. Anyway, CONGRATS!!!

Erica and Nate said...

Yay!!! We love Caleb!!!