Pic

Pic

Joshua Olausen

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Caleb Jeffrey

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Breastfeeding

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Friday, April 16, 2010

8 weeks old!

Our baby is 8 weeks old today!

What a week!  I have been having some issues breastfeeding Joshua.  The past 7-10 days (really since he was getting better in the hospital), breastfeeding seems painful for him. First of all, he still gets choked on my milk.  Then when I went to burp him after one breast, he would arch his back, try to stand up and scream.  Then on the second breast about halfway through eating, he would start to cry and wimper and sometimes yank my you know what around.  It was really sad to see that!  I really didn't know what was going on.  And he usually spits up at least once a feeding. His burps are usually wet ones and if he gets hiccups, there is usually some more that comes up with them.  And he hates when he spits up, it always makes him fuss.  So I dealt with it for a week or so.  I tried not burping him until the end so he wouldn't get so mad, but it made no difference.  He would still cry after he was done eating.  I thought breastfeeding was supposed to be a happy experience for the baby!  I tried giving him a bottle of breastmilk to see if it was the speed of my milk let down that was giving him air bubbles (because he still "gulps" my milk down in the beginning).  But he still cried after the bottle feeding as well and arched his back when I tried to burp him.   I have tried Mylicon drops for quite some time but it doesn't really seem to be that.  He still toots but never seems uncomfortable with that.  He just seems uncomfortable after feedings.  I tried skin to skin when he fusses at the breast but still nothing changed.   I also tried just one side per feeding but an hour later, he woke up and wanted to eat more (and it was the middle of the night!) but still did the same thing. So I don't think it's that.  I took him to the pediatrician's office today because I thought maybe it was reflux.  I HATE going to the doctor but I also HATE seeing my baby uncomfortable.  Oh yeah, I also have made tons of dietary changes (no chocolate, no dairy - since 2 weeks old, no citrus flavored things, and limited my spices).  So, she said it sounded like reflux.  So we are trying some Zantac to see if this helps him.  I hate to give him medicine if he doesn't need it but he just gets so uncomfortable that if this will help him feel better, then I'm ok with trying it. 

So I'll let you all know soon.  Thanks for all the prayers! We do appreciate them!

I know this picture is sideways but it's after 10pm and I'm tired!   This is his outfit he wore today.  I love it!  It's a hoodie with shorts (from my Aunt B) and I put some moccasins on him that my cousin Cassie got from Africa when she lived there. Thanks! 


Below...you can see the progression of his dislike for sunglasses :)



When mommy reads him a book, it is obviously quite boring! 


But when daddy reads to him, it is exciting! And I have to say that Jeff is an AMAZING father.  He is so willing to help out. I don't know how many times he has unloaded our dishwasher, put away clothes, burped Joshua and put him back to bed so I could get some more sleep, stayed up with me in the middle of the night while I cried because Joshua was crying after he ate, etc.  He is just such a supportive husband! I don't know what I would do without him and I know I would not be this "together" right now without him. Thank you Jeff!



Again, this is sideways but it's a picture of my Baby K'Tan that Jeff got me for Christmas.  I love wearing it! 




3 comments:

Rachel said...

Tiff--- we can do this! I'm having a rough time too, so please know you're not alone in the struggle. It sounds like you are being really persistent and patient with the process... you're doing great! I really hope the meds help him stop crying. At least he's growing and healthy! Happy feeding...

Erica and Nate said...

hang in there tiff!!! my aunt had to give same meds to my cousins and it helped them. joshua is getting so big- he looks like a little football player in that last pic. he is so cute...I miss him.

Casie Clark said...

I'm praying for you Tiff!! It sounds like your doctor was supportive with the reflux thing - that's good! Hope the meds are helping. You're doing a great job! You are little Joshua's favorite person! We love him :)