Pic

Pic

Joshua Olausen

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Caleb Jeffrey

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Breastfeeding

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Update on Joshua


Hi Everyone,

I am not sure where to begin...we are so THANKFUL for all of the prayers.  I can't even imagine how many prayers have been sent up to Heaven for Joshua and Jeff and myself.  We feel overwhelmed by the love and support we have been given.  You all are truly wonderful people and I know that God has heard our prayers!

Being up here on the Pediatric unit definitely breaks your heart.  Hearing your own baby cry, other babies crying...makes you feel helpless.  But thank goodness for a loving God who comforts each of us.  

Currently, Joshua is sleeping peacefully in his crib.  He was taken off continuous oxygen this morning...Praise the Lord!  He is currently receiving blow by oxygen (a mask near his face that is just oxygenating the air).  This is definitely a step in the right direction.  He didn't even need blow by earlier but later this afternoon, it appears that when he begins to fall asleep, his breathing patterns change and his O2 sats dip a little lower (low 90's upper 80's).  

He is such a wonderful baby!  He is much more alert when he's awake and is sooooo cute :)  He and I had some good conversation earlier today :)  I thought maybe he would smile but no.

He is still receiving antibiotics (gentamicin and ampicillin).  His IV came out earlier today and so we had to go through the whole process again of finding another vein to use.  After a stick in each foot, we got one in the crease of his elbow (antecubital).  He cried for a little while, but as soon as it was over, he fell fast asleep.  So precious!  He has been fever free since yesterday evening.  Praise the Lord!

The doctor came in today and said if all goes smoothly from here, we may get to go home tomorrow.  I am not holding my breath on it but it would be wonderful if we could.

Physically, I am drained.  I was up all night.  The constant monitors going off, breathing treatments, feedings, vitals, etc allowed me no sleep.  Plus I have a sinus infection so I felt pretty miserable.  5am came and after I was done feeding, I tried to burp him and he WOULD NOT BURP.  Normally, I wouldn't care but the sleep deprivation was a little to much to handle.  I called Jeff's name about 5 times before he woke up :)  I said "Jeff I need your help.  He will not burp!"  Jeff immediately took him from me and told me to GO HOME.  So I did just that.  On my way home I just balled, feeling guilty for being mad that a sweet little baby wouldn't burp, because I was so thankful he was doing better, because I was so sorry he was sick, because I felt like him getting sick was my fault, etc. Needless to say, it was the longest drive home. I think I hit every red light at 6am.  I left Jeff some milk sitting out for his next feeding and went home and slept from 6 to 11.  I think I could have slept the entire day but I set my alarm so I could be back up here to feed him at 11:30.  So a good 4 hour stretch is more than I have had in 5 and 1/2 weeks!!  
Well that's all there is right now. Thanks again for all the prayers!

Tiff (and Jeff and Joshua)

1 comment:

Joel/Mal and Troy/Meg said...

ohhh tiff! BLESS YOUR HEART! We will continue to pray for dear Joshua. hang in there girl, YOU ARE DOING SO GREAT! i would be a royal mess!
mal