What a weekend! :) I will try to be brief because I can't get enough of our new little one! Joshua Olausen Clark was born on Friday February 19th at 12:21pm, weighed 6lbs 12oz and was 20 inches long. It was an 18 hour labor if you count the minor contractions that started at 5pm. So I had probably 1 contraction per hour all day Thursday at work. At 5, I started having more regular pain but really didn't feel like my belly was getting tight like I have had during pregnancy. By 7:30 they were regularly to 6 min apart and my belly was definitely getting tight. I paged the doctor at 8 to get his opinion on when I should come in since I was already dilated. But I didn't receive a call back in 30 min so Jeff and I went up to the school so he could play in his intramural game. At about 9:30, the contractions were definitely regular and more intense (I had no idea of what they could become!) We talked to the doctor finally and he said if I couldn't make it through the night because of the contractions, to go to the hospital. But if I did hold off, he would check me in the morning. Well by 2:30am they were bad enough that I didn't want to say anything but just had to breathe through them (so I thought...haha) We decided to go ahead and come on in. I was praying to be dilated more but when we got here, I was only 2.5cm!!!!! Talk about disappointing. We asked if we could go home but they said they wouldn't be able to do anything until the doctor made her rounds at 7am. So all morning long, we walked, watched an office episode and tried to do anything to keep our minds off the contractions. At about 7:30 or 8, I was dilated to 4cm. Praise Jesus that there was change!!! My doctor, Dr. Seward (God Bless Him!) came in at 9:30 and broke my water. Things progressed pretty rapidly at that point. I no longer wanted to move around but sat at the end of the bed and Jeff rubbed my lower back through each contraction. Jeff did an AMAZING job as coach. He would look at the monitor and tell me when the contraction was on its way down. Thank goodness for that. I could no longer breathe through them but did some sort of singing moan. Sorry if that is too graphic for anyone. At about 10:30 I was at 6cm and so thankful. By about 11:30, I went through "transition". The only way I know that was after it was over, I looked back at the monitor and realized for about 5 to 10 min, I didn't really get any break from a contraction. At that point, I started feeling like I needed to push a little. Praise the Lord that when they checked me I was 9cm. If I would have only been 7, I would have gotten an epidural I think. It was about all I could handle. So they paged the doctor to come back in and I started pushing. After about 30 min, a ring of fire, and the most intense thing I have ever done in my life, Joshua was born! The doctor had his head and shoulders out and told me to reach down and pull him out. What an amazing experience. Then Dr. Seward said "It's a boy!" I can't thank Dr. Seward enough. He did a lot of perineal massaging (that was NO FUN) so I only had a second degree tear. Thank goodness Joshua wasn't any bigger. It was the most amazing thing ever. I got to hold him for a little bit while Jeff cut the cord and he got wiped down. He was crying but not like a really high pitched scream so they took him to the warmer and worked on him for a little bit to try to get more of the mucus and gunk out. I loved his little wimpers and grunts. But after a half hour, they decided it would be best to take him to the nursery and put him under some oxygen and get him crying really well. Surprisingly, it wasn't really hard on me because I was under such an adrenaline rush. I kept telling Jeff to go be with him but he wanted to keep checking on me. Such a sweet guy. At about 2:30, they brought him back in with us so I could breastfeed. I can't even describe the amount of love I felt for him. (I know all you moms know what I'm talking about). And I LOVE seeing Jeff hold him and love on him. Such a sap. I hardly cried during pregnancy but since today, my emotions are pretty high. I have cried like a baby every time I look at him. He is just so precious. Breastfeeding is going pretty well. I love that time with him and he loves his hands up by his face. Such a sweet thing. He did that during the last ultrasound too. He has Jeff's hands and nose. Not sure what he has that's mine yet :) Well I'm off to hold and love on him again. Love to you all!! Thanks to everyone for all their love, support, congratulations, flowers, etc!!! It is SO appreciated to know people were praying. I can honestly say that having an all natural labor was nothing short of God's divine intervention on my behalf. So thank you Jesus! Enjoy the pics!!



14 comments:
Jeff and Tiffany, we are so happy for you and the healthy, perfect birth of your sweet baby Joshua. I am so glad you had such a good experience! We love you so much and can't wait to hold/kiss/love on your baby boy! Our babies are going to have so much fun together! Love all 3 of you!!!
Words cannot describe how happy I am for you and Jeff!!! Joshua is absolutely adorable. I also was enthralled by your play-by-play. So proud of you for making it through your goal to do it natural. Just reading that, I know you took it like a champ. I never had any doubt, though. ;) Ok, enough OB chatter. I am so glad you were able to experience birth how you wanted. And now I know you will get to have so much more fun being a mommy. Can't wait to meet him!!!!!!!!!
So many congrats go out to all of you! Can't wait to meet the little guy. Oh, and my vote was that beans was a boy. Looks like your blog viewers thought so as well ;)
I can't wait til we can talk face to face about every wonderful detail of your labor and birth! Joshua is so cute, and my favorite picture is with all 7 of you in it; what a wonderful family!!!
P.S. I voted boy!!!
Wow- You are a trooper- you did a great job. He is soooo adorable. We are excited and we can't wait to meet your little guy. Great pics- you look like a mother in love with her new little bundle of joy.
that is one adorable baby!! Congrats! So happy for you guys! Isn't it the most amazing thing! God is good!!!
AHHHHHH!!! You go girl! Soooo, so sweet! You did so good Tiff! I'm so excited for you both and he's so perfect!! Enjoy every minute!
Tiff and Jeff, Joel and I are so happy for you! I wish so bad I was there to talk to you about it. What a beautiful experience! We are so proud of you Tiff! Enjoy this special time with your new little one!!
Love
Mal and Joel
oh my... so excited for you!!! I knew you would do great. You will never regret the decision you made to have him naturally. I know you think it is awful and then it just gets worse! It is so worth it though!
Can't wait to see the little guy. Great job to Jeff for being a wonderful husband to you during this time. That is awesome!
Yea a boy!!!!!!
ps. after looking at all the pics again you look fabulous but Jeff just looks plain adorable! You can tell is just plain "head over heels" for both of you!!!!
Welcome Joshua! You are adorable and have great parents! I am Dianne Carpenter, a friend of Kathy Tonagel and have watched 'the boys' growing up in our church and working on our farm.... where Dustin works now.... so I feel we are 'related' without having met yet!
I was with Kathy at Bible Study when she was receiving your calls on Thursday night.... I started praying for you. I love natural childbirths! And am an enthusiastic supporter of breastfeeding...
Enjoy!
Congrats! What a wonderful gift!
Tiff,
He seriously has the most precious little face I have ever seen!!! In some of those pictures he looks like a little doll. I loved your involved description of what his birth was like- you were one tough little thing and obviously did awesome! Congrats to you and Jeff :)
you have an award waiting for you on my photo blog. :)
ps. Happy 1 week b-day Joshua!!!
Post a Comment